Box internals

So I had a box, but without any cushioning inside, the RHex would simply rattle about and that would not be great. So I planned to get a foam camping mattress and build something from that. Unfortunately, they were all out, so I got some mini foam cussions. It turns out that they did not have nearly the volume that I needed. So the result is super-ugly. But at least it keeps things in place and I can fit a whole lot of material in and around the foam inserts, which is a plus.

Also, I purchased a handle and mounted it. So now I can carry it like a briefcase which is really practical, and on the whole, the outside looks quite elegant.

I guess that I simply need to redo the inside sometime later when I have more contact cement and more foam so I can do a proper job of it.

I had planned to do a bit of programming, but unfortunately, I forgot to check that the power adapter was in fact packed. I had simply checked that it was not in its standard spot, which it was not.

So I spent the rest of the evening doing boring chores on my ToDo-list. But I had a few too many so that it was nice to get them done.

Finishing the box

Today I finished the box, complete with snaps to keep it closed.

Of course, I need to get some foam to create a snugg lining for the RHex, but that should be fairly easy.

Since that did not take very long, I spend the rest of the evening learning how to use templates in C++ to build an encoder library that did not need a huge function with all possible pins listed in it.

I haven’t test run that code on hardware yet, but it compiles, and C++ being what it is I assume that if it compiles, it probably runs well enough.

Making a box

Since a while back, I have realized that I will need some form of box to carry the RHex. With its legs sticking out, and no covers for now, it is rather fragile and cumbersome. So today’s task was to make a box.

I decided to check out the technique used by Laura Kampf and Adam Savage in using plywood and a nail gun. Normally, if you use 9+mm plywood, you can just fasten the plywood pieces together. But I wanted to use 6mm to keep the weight down, so I took the extra trouble of adding strengthening bars along all sides.

I also tried Adam Savage’s method of making an entire box with all 6 sides and then cutting away the lid on a table saw. Worked like a charm!

So the end result was rather rough, but a few minutes on the large belt sander and voilá!

Next time, I will use the excentric sander to get that final polish on the outside as well as smoothen things a bit on the inside. I will also mount clasps on either side and a handle so that the box can be shut closed and carried.

Then, it needs foam insets, and we are ready to go!